Friday, June 26, 2009

The King is dead, Long Live his Music

I have never taken part in any of the slogan completing or coupon filling competitions we normally come across in the magazines or newspapers; I consider them a proper waste of time, energy and money. But, one man compelled me to change my mind, one time or you can say for one period of time. That was about 15 years, when Michael Jackson declared that he will be touring India as a part of his world tour and will perform in Delhi. All the news papers and magazines were filled with these competitions which were giving away concert tickets as prize, with a pocket money of Rs.100 a month, I could have never bought Rs. 1000 ticket which was minimum available. My parents have never been fond of all these English pop singers so hoping that they will give me, a 13 year old that much amount for watching a long haired American singing (in their words, Screaming) in front of 50,000 hysterical people, was asking for too much. So, I choose to write slogans and fill in coupons, send postcards for the TV competitions, whoever was willing to give me a concert ticket for free had my full focus and attention. I didn’t win any ticket, more so that concert was also canceled and I never saw the King, unfortunately now, I will never be able to.
MJ was the first English singer I ever heard, I still remember listening to “Beat it” on my friend’s walkman, though for me it was difficult to understand the lyrics of the song at that time but the beat got me. I enjoyed his songs, videos and his dance moves, watching his videos on VCR was the most loved activity during summer afternoons. I was never crazy about him or his music, I always loved his songs, videos and his dancing the most, but never thought of him being a part of my life, but when today I heard that he is no more, I realized that he had left his impact on my life too, much during my teen years. I was hooked to his songs during my teenage years and that introduced me to the world of English music. It was a pleasure to watch him dance on TV and a dream to perfect the art of “moonwalking” which I have never been able to do. When I got my first music system, its power was fully utilized by playing “Black or white” at the full blast, I can admit that I was inspired by the video, but thankfully my speakers were much smaller than those in video.
I stopped following his music some years ago maybe because he stopped making any or maybe because I was not a teenager anymore. But, when I heard about his sudden demise today morning, I felt sad, more because it means end of an era not only for the music industry but for people like me who grew up with his music. The music which still brings a lot of memories back and transfers me to another world where “it didn’t matter if you’re black or white”. In spite of all the controversies and scandals, I still believe that he was the uncrowned King of Pop, the greatest entertainer we have ever seen “Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi”

No comments: