Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Antisocial Bachelors..

“Sir, there is a party interested in your flat” spoke my estate agent in his phone, on the other side was the owner of flat, which I was interested in taking on rent. “Two bachelors sir, nice and decent people” said he, certifying our good character to the owner. “Should not be any problem sir, they both work in good companies” still trying hard to convince about our clean backgrounds. “Yes, sir we will take copies of their company Ids and also parent’s address with phone numbers” confirming that we have no place to hide or run if we commit some heinous crime in his flat or worse still, run away with his flat. I am sure, any bachelor who would have tried to rent a flat in Mumbai must have witnessed such a conversation. In my personal opinion a married terrorist can rent a flat much faster and easily than a well educated working bachelor. The story doesn’t end here, after getting the approval of still apprehensive flat owner, there are many others whose approval matters, and one of them is society’s secretary. Many societies in Mumbai do not allow bachelors as tenants in their buildings, for the reasons best known to the residents of the building.

Whenever I think about this, I feel both sad and amused. It’s a shame that we don’t know how to judge a person and try to measure everyone by same standard, it amuses me to think about the thought process these societies have behind making these rules. I am not sure whom they trust less, the bachelors or their own family members who can be “badly” influenced by the bachelors. More so I think all the people who support these rules must have done some things, which they may not be proud of, while they were bachelors and now fear that the single person coming in their building will behave like them only, creating nuisance. Whatever be the reason, it’s a shame that some people are denied an accommodation based on their marital status; thank god the court gave approval for live-in relationship.

What is that which makes us distrust a bachelor and keep him or her away from the “mainstream society“? I think the answer lies in the insecurities all these people live with or in the simple fact that by meeting a bachelor everyday and see him enjoy life, a married man/woman may feel more and more miserable, hence its better to keep them away and live in a fool’s paradise. Whatever may be the reason, I know for sure that if I have to get a flat in Mumbai, either I need to get married or fake it, both of these possibilities are rare in near future, till then let me keep tormenting the married souls by making them remember the good old days of bachelorhood struggle which all of them have conveniently forgotten.